Monday, July 7, 2014

Medina Twin Sizzler 5k

"A" goal time: 18:45
"B" goal time: 19:19
"C" goal time: 19:40

Felt very nervous and sick going into this race. Weather was a little cooler than I would have liked it but I decided to wear a t-shirt instead of a sports bra to counteract this. I jogged up to the square and met running club buds for a club picture, where I look surprisingly relaxed! I did a quick warmup and managed to squeeze in a pre run pee at the elementary school. I lined up in the second row, hoping to avoid weaving around the overly ambitious young runners. For this race, most of those that went out at sub six minute pace, stayed sub six. There was  long line of guys, plus a few women ahead of me from the start. Was passed by one woman and passed two women. Mile one was 6:10 and felt too fast. I was pretty discouraged by this and ready to throw out my first goal time. Passed one woman this mile. Kept working and passed a couple of guys. Saw Dave up ahead of me and decided I might catch him. Mile two passed in 12:22. A couple of girls passed me and bystanders cheered for them, so I knew they were local. One of them was working too hard and I passed her about half a mile from the finish. Nice downhill in the third mile before leading up to the square. I caught Dave but he wouldn't let me pass him. I was feeling pretty bad and didn't try very hard. I could hear the young girl behind me and people cheering for her, so I knew there was no relaxing unless I wanted to lose a place. Leading up to the finish line, there were people cheering for her and ANOTHER girl. Seriously? This was my only motivation to kick in the last few hundred meters, let me tell you. I sort of saw the clock but I don't think it was registering that I was so close to sub 19 because in my mind, the pace was too slow for that anyway. I had forgotten the course is short! I realized after I crossed that I had a 19:02. I felt fine about this until a couple of days later (now) as I sit here kicking myself for not realizing that a 6:15 pace would get me a sub 19 on this course! I'll know better for next year.
Saw bunches of running club buds after the race and volunteered for the 10k, which was fun! I never get to see the front and back of a race and would like to do this more often.
I ended up third female officially because the girl that passed me and stayed ahead of me was unofficial. She had a blastingly fast last mile and I am very impressed with her, whoever she is. Running the Johnnycake Jog in Painsville this coming Sunday. Goal times will be 31:30, 32:30 and 33:30.

Photo Credits to John J. McCarroll (top) and Beth's Dad (bottom)

Results:

http://www.ohiochallengeseries.com/client_images/events/index.cfm?form_result_id=6881

No comments:

Post a Comment