Sunday, March 15, 2015

Indoor Track Races 2014-15

     Going into winter I focused on slowly building my mileage and getting onto the indoor track for workouts once a week. I started incorporating shorter speed workouts in order to prep myself for a mile race. The plan was to lower my mile and 3k times, run a fast outdoor 5k and then go after my 10k pr in a big way at the Cleveland 10k in May. My plans changed in late December when I decided to go after a sub 3:00 marathon at Cleveland instead. I have to admit this has caused a fair amount of stress and borderline injuries since I had to keep building my mileage through a brutal winter. The road conditions have brought on some serious ankle and foot pain that have persisted for weeks now.
     One thing I have seen develop from the short workouts is a pretty amazing kick. I started running 200 meter repeats at about 33 early in November and then lowered them to 30-32, with most of them right around 31 by late December. I also had an amazing 13.1 mile long run at 6:57 pace in mid-December. I was feeling great during this month, but then got the flu in late December and started running on snowy roads in the cold, which is a serious trial for me. I slow down considerably in the cold and most of my runs were slower than 8 minute pace. I also had a hard time getting in my tempo runs and my tempo pace slowed down from the 6:20s to a struggle to keep it in the 6:30s and even one 80 percent workout at 6:57 average in below zero temps. I was questioning how I could even consider trying for a 6:50 average over 26.2 if I couldn't even hold that for five miles? In the last couple of weeks I have gotten back into the 6:20s and even under for my tempos and I had my first yasso workout this week (3/8/15) that went very well and averaged right about 2:50. Below are the indoor races that I did. I ended up not doing an indoor 3k because they were always run late in the day when I needed to be home with my kids.

Kent State Golden Flash Gala 1 mile: Haven't run an indoor race, or any track race for 10 years, why not jump into a Division I early meet mile? 5:22.96 for fifth out of 14 for a mile pr. Went out way too fast, died, kicked it in. Apparently I'm in high school.

Spire North Coast Open 1 mile: Had a rough January and was supposed to race 3k, not a mile, but went after my pr anyway. Badly paced race on my part and did not fight to the finish. 5:26.71 for fifth out of 25.

Kent State Tune-up 5k: Ouch. This was just bad from beginning to end. Had some serious flashbacks to my college days when I would go a whole season not with it while racing on the track. Didn't feel great physically, but I also just could not make myself care about my pace, time or place. Was alone until the last couple of laps and then had to outkick a girl to keep from falling into 13th place. 19:01 for 12th.

Results: http://www.runnerspace.com/gprofile.php?do=view_athlete&mgroup_id=30305&bio_id=1548500&year=all

No comments:

Post a Comment